Collaborate in the team room
Increase team productivity by discussing work in progress, asking questions, sharing status, and clarifying issues that arise. Your team room provides an area for fostering and capturing communication among team members, both near and far.
By using the team room instead of email threads, you automatically receive an audit trail of conversations and decisions. By reviewing the archive, you can quickly catch up with the team when you’ve been away or in a different time zone.
Join the conversation
To switch to another team room, open it from the Rooms list.
You’ll see all rooms that you have permission to enter.
Ways you can interact in the room
- Target a message to a team member: type @UserName.
- Include a hyperlink to a work item: type #Id. For example: @Peter, can you take a look at bugs #564, #588, and #592?
- Open a linked object, such as a work item, changeset, build definition, and more.
- Include a supported emoticon. For example, type :) to have a smiley face icon appear.
- Review a previous day’s message: select the day from the calendar.
Adding events lets your team know when builds complete, source code is checked in, work items are updated, and code review requests occur.
Choose Manage Events.If you don’t see the Manage events link, get added as a team room administrator.
Add events and enable them in the team room.
Room events appear with a hyperlink to the object. Although team room users can see the events, they might not have permission to open the object. To learn more about permissions and event objects, go here.
Q & A
Q:How do other teams use rooms?
A:Here are a few ways teams use rooms:
- Daily standup: Capture the review of what happened the previous day and discuss any issues or blocking items based on real history.
- Remote team members: Geographically-dispersed team members can keep up with members in different time zones. This can be especially useful when there are different levels of language proficiency among team members.
- Memory stream: Configuring all events gives you an archive where you can review changesets, work item updates, and build progress all in one place.
Q:What type of license is required to access team rooms?
Q:How do I mute the sound?
A:Choose the audio icon to turn the sound off or on.
Q:What causes a work item event to appear in the room?
A:Any change in status or assignment triggers an event to appear in the room.
Q:How do I change team room permissions, or add an account as a team room administrator?
A:See administer team activities.
Q:How do I add my avatar image?
A:Change the picture from your profile.