Application Insights (Preview)
Know whether your applications are available and performing to your expectations even before your customers do.
Visual Studio Online Application Insights is a new cloud-based service (currently in preview) that collects rich operational, performance, and customer usage information from server and client/device applications – whether they run on-premises, in Microsoft Azure, a third-party cloud provider, or a combination of all three. With this “360 degree view” into the availability, performance, and usage of your applications and services, you can quickly detect availability and performance problems, pinpoint their root cause, and connect yourself to a rich diagnostic experience in Visual Studio. Application Insights also gives you information to continuously improve your applications and prioritize future investments.
- Create realistic simulations of user interactions with your website and use them to monitor your app from around the world.
- Get a glimpse into how your application is behaving behind the scenes and pinpoint bottlenecks with rich dashboards that allow you to drill into potential issues.
- Get alerted automatically whenever your application is not responding properly according to your thresholds.
- Cut through the noise to identify actual issues and take actionable response. Get advanced diagnostics functionality directly linked to your Visual Studio development environment.
- Use Application Insights in development, test, and integration environments to detect complex issues introduced by a particular release.
- Become smarter about your application by learning from live data through rich dashboards.
- Every development team becomes armed to make world usage data from their customers.
Reporting in Application Insights is focused on two areas: dashboards and dynamic reports.
Dashboards provide ‘out of the box,’ pre-configured insights and enables you to configure a view that is unique to your application, organization, or environment to gain an at-a-glance overview of the key aspects for your applications and services.
Dynamic reports present consolidated views of data, enabling you to see what is happening across multiple aspects of the application. By drilling into the report, you can gain detailed insight into the application or service to help you determine root causes, plan for handling additional user load, and investigate application or service behaviors at specific points in time.
Application Insights in Visual Studio
Focusing your future work
With Application Insights, answering the question about “what’s next” becomes an exercise in analyzing performance and usage data. Application insights helps you to understand what users are doing, where they are succeeding, and which platforms matter the most to them. By instrumenting your application, you can capture data that will provide you with customer insights to focus your continuous improvement efforts for more impact.