Development Platform Support
Create applications across the desktop, devices, and the cloudVisual Studio 2013 offers a unified development environment for building applications targeting the full range of Microsoft platforms such as desktop, Windows Store and Windows Phone apps, as well as mobile web apps, web applications and cloud services, and much more. No matter your choice of programming language, the application you target, or whether you are modernizing an existing client / server application or developing a new cloud service across devices, Visual Studio provides the development environment you need.
Building Windows Applications
- Create rich and powerful desktop applications using .NET and managed languages or C++
- Create sophisticated and beautiful user interfaces targeting Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) desktop applications using Visual Studio IDE and Blend design tooling for XAML
- Take advantage of full Windows capabilities through the .NET Framework and use Visual Studio to create software that target WPF, Windows Forms or other desktop technologies
- Build native Windows applications with Visual Studio and C++ to optimize for graphics-intense applications and games
- Build embedded applications for intelligent systems that run on a family of Windows Embedded products
- Develop applications for Windows Embedded 8 to create rich multi-touch experiences
- Create mobile solutions for Windows Embedded 8 Handheld, such as point-of-service or mobile data and capture scanning
- Create Windows Embedded applications using C++ or the .NET Framework and the managed language of your choice such as C# or VB
Windows Store Apps
- Create Windows Store apps that reach millions of devices and work across dozens of form factors
- Develop modern Windows Store Apps using HTML or XAML and take advantage of Blend design-centric tooling to create rich and fluid user interfaces
- Build compelling and exciting games using C++ and DirectX and make them great with the help of advanced IDE and debugging capabilities of Visual Studio
- Create connected Windows Store Apps by enabling Live Tile and Push Notifications through Windows Azure
Windows Phone 8
- Create Windows Phone apps with rich experiences that target powerful devices
- Use the language of your choice including C#, VB, or C++ to write apps, and use XAML to create rich user interfaces or DirectX to develop games
- Use advanced debugging capabilities such as Windows Phone Emulator, Performance Profiling, Network Simulation and the Integrated Debugger
- Leverage Portable Class Libraries to share code across multiple platforms, such as Windows and Windows Phone
Building Websites and Services
Websites and Services
- Create web applications and services using Microsoft’s powerful web framework, ASP.NET
- Build dynamic, standards compliant web applications using ASP.NET MVC, SignalR for real-time communication, or Web API to create REST-ful services
- Rapidly develop websites with ASP.NET WebForms in a powerful design-time environment with user controls and a familiar event-driven model
- Test across multiple browsers and resolve issues using capabilities such as Integrated Debugger, Page Inspector, and Browser Link
Windows Azure – Build for the cloud
- Create, debug, deploy, and manage Windows Azure services from within Visual Studio
- Build web applications or services that leverage the broad range of Windows Azure hosting and scaling capabilities
- Take advantage of Windows Azure services, such as Cloud Active Directory, Big Data with HDInsight, cloud storage and CDN, or SQL Database
- Use Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) to host your own virtual machines or leverage MSDN subscriber dev/test benefits
- Enhance your applications even further using Bing Platform capabilities such as Speech Recognition, Mapping, Machine Translation, Web Search or OCR
Business Productivity Applications
Office and SharePoint development
- Integrate your business applications by creating add-ins for Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Project, or build solutions for SharePoint
- Easily create Office 365 Cloud Business Apps to build line-of-business applications that integrate with Office 365 services and Windows Azure
- Publish your apps to your corporate app catalog, or distribute them through the Office Store
Rapid LOB development
- Quickly create business applications with LightSwitch projects
- Visually define your data model, connect to enterprise data, add custom business logic and expose it as standard services that can be consumed on any device
- Build professional-quality user interfaces across desktops and mobile devices that seamlessly connect to your services
- Flexible deployment and cloud hosting options including Azure and Office 365
A better Visual Studio for XAML development
In Visual Studio 2013 XAML gets better for all developers, as a top request from many of our customers the best XAML editor improvements are now available for Windows Phone, Windows Store, WPF and Silverlight projects. In this video, Dante Gagne will demo these improvements and learn how they will make your XAML editing experience more productive
Introducing Visual Studio 2013 for Windows Store Developers building HTML Apps
Windows Store developers using HTML/WinJS to build their apps get many new features in Visual Studio 2013. In this video Amanda Silver will talk about which new design-time features make building modern apps even easier in both Visual Studio and Blend
What’s new for Web Developers in Visual Studio 2013
Find development platform support features in Visual Studio
The fastest way to start developing applications for Windows 8.1, Windows Phone, the web or the cloud. Visual Studio Express products provide a free development environment to develop applications for the latest platforms. Since it is Visual Studio, applications created in Express can be supported in other versions of Visual Studio as your needs grow. Platforms supported:
- Windows Desktop
- Windows Phone
Professional 2013 with MSDN
With Visual Studio Professional with MSDN, you can create applications across devices and services, using a single solution with a consistent development experience—whether you’re creating five-star consumer experiences or modernizing your business applications.
- Use a unified solution
- Support web development
- Improve productivity with an integrated environment
- Support line-of-business development
- Receive the MSDN Subscription level for Visual Studio Professional.
Portal site for the Microsoft ASP.NET development community. Read blogs, participate in the forums, and learn about ASP.NET.
ASP.NET: One ASP.NET
Visual Studio 2013 brings us closer to One ASP.NET. There’s no MVC project type or Web Forms project any longer, there’s just ASP.NET. Visit this site to earn more about One ASP.NET.
MSDN: Windows Dev Center - Windows Store Apps
Find key content and events to jump start your Windows Store app development project. See what's new, and get inspired by Windows 8 app builder success stories.
MSDN: Windows Presentation Foundation and .NET 4.5
Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) provides developers with a unified programming model for building rich Windows smart client user experiences that incorporate UI, media, and documents.
The .NET Framework provides a comprehensive and consistent programming model for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences and seamless and secure communication.
MSDN Blogs: XAML Editor Improvements in Visual Studio 2013
This blog post describes the Visual Studio 2013's XAML editor features in detail and how you can use them.