Feature availability: You can perform adhoc work item queries using the Work item search extension. This Marketplace extension (in preview) is currently supported for Team Services.
With the Work item search extension installed, you have two ways to perform work item searches: adhoc and managed. You perform adhoc queries using the work item search box (shown below), whereas you perform managed queries using the built-in search function available from the Work hub, Queries page.
Use adhoc queries when you want to:
- Find a specific work item using its ID or a keyword
- Find one or more work items across all team projects in a fast, flexible manner
- Perform full text search across all work item fields
- Review work items assigned to a specific team member
- Search against specific work item fields to quickly narrow down a list of work items
Determine what key words will support a managed search
When you install the Work item search extension, you extend the full-text search engine to index all work item fields.
Use managed queries when you want to:
- Review or triage a group of work items
- Perform bulk updates on several work items such as change Assign To, Iteration Path, or more
- Review parent-child or dependent links among work items
- Create a status or trend chart from a flat list query
- Create a list of work items that you'll export to Excel or Project (requires that you have installed the Team Foundation Server Standalone Office Integration 2015 (free) plug-in)
Work item search box context
Note that when the Work item search extension is installed, the work item search box is repurposed to support adhoc queries. In order to initiate a managed search, you need to open the Work>Queries page.
To learn more about each search type, see these topics:
Adhoc work item queries- Install Work item search extension
- Advanced work item search options
- Rich work item search results
Managed work item queries- Use the query editor to list and manage queries
- Create managed queries
- Search box queries
- Items that belong to a category