Software, services, support, training - Visual Studio with MSDN subscriptions give you a wide range of resources that help you succeed as a developer on Microsoft platforms. With a huge library of both current and previous editions of Microsoft software, plus access to Microsoft’s ALM solution, you have the tools and information you need to support the entire development process. The following benefits are available depending on which subscription you choose.
Software and services
Access thousands of Microsoft products
MSDN subscriptions bring you the most complete library of Microsoft products and services to use for design, development, and testing. Subscribers receive access to past, present, and future software, including the latest release of Visual Studio. Simple per-user licensing enables you to install and use the software as much as you need in your development projects. And cloud-use rights give you increased flexibility to set up your environments the way you want.
Manage the application lifecycle on premises or in the cloud
Improve agility and team collaboration with Visual Studio Online, an end-to-end, cloud-based ALM solution accessible from virtually anywhere. From version control and code reviews to agile planning and automated builds, Visual Studio Online can help you meet challenging deadlines and improve software quality. For teams that need finer-grained control over their processes or want to use existing on-premises infrastructure, Team Foundation Server and a TFS CAL is included with your MSDN subscription.
Develop and test faster with Microsoft Azure
Microsoft Azure enables you to develop and test applications faster, at reduced cost, and with the flexibility to deploy in the cloud or on-premises. As an MSDN subscriber, you receive a monthly credit to use for any Microsoft Azure service for development and test, plus discounted rates and access to pre-configured virtual machines. Rapidly provision cloud resources to build scalable cloud applications, test existing applications in virtual machines, or create hybrid applications that span on-premises and cloud infrastructure.
Get developer accounts for the latest Microsoft platformsWindows, Windows Phone, and Office are more developer-friendly than ever. MSDN subscriptions give you the access you need to create and sell modern applications for the most popular Microsoft platforms, including a Windows developer account. And with your Office 365 Developer Subscription, you also get an Office 365 Developer Site to use as a development and testing environment for Office and SharePoint apps, including the ability to publish and profit from your apps in the Office Store.
Learning and support
Sharpen your skills with Pluralsight training
Take your skills to the next level with Pluralsight training, the world's largest tech training library providing online courses for professional developers and IT admins. MSDN subscribers receive access to select courses, plus offline viewing through mobile players, pre and post course assessments, downloadable course exercise files and course discussion forums.
Overcome development challenges with Professional Technical Support
MSDN subscriptions provide Microsoft professional technical support incidents. Use them for assistance with technical break-fix issues in non-production environments so you can keep your application moving forward.
Get answers in MSDN forums with priority support
The MSDN forums are highly active, technology-specific communities of expert developers just like you—they’re a go-to source for tips, techniques, and answers to all your technical questions. As an MSDN subscriber, Microsoft engineers will respond to your inquiry if an answer hasn’t already been provided from the community.
Keep up to date with the latest trends and resources
MSDN Magazine delivers in-depth tutorials on subjects ranging from creating modern apps to improving debugging processes. Code samples and expert guidance accelerate your learning and help you create better software and services.
Maximize the value of MSDN with Online Chat
Not sure where to find that Knowledge Base article? Need help with MSDN Subscriber Downloads? MSDN Online Chat is there for MSDN subscribers 24/7 to help you get answers to non-technical questions about how to use your MSDN benefits.
Compare subscriptions benefits
|Collapse all Expand all||Visual Studio Professional with MSDN||Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN||Visual Studio Test Professional with MSDN||MSDN Platforms|
|Visual Studio integrated development environment||Professional||Enterprise|
|Microsoft Test Manager|
|Team Foundation Server and one CAL|
|Visual Studio Online||Basic plan||Advanced plan||Advanced plan||Advanced plan|
|Microsoft Azure monthly credit for dev/test 1||$50 month||$150 month||$50 month||$100 month|
|Microsoft Azure pay-as-you-go dev/test subscriptions 1||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Windows developer account|
|Office 365 Developer Subscription|
|eDevTech SmartOffice4TFS and inteGREAT4TFS 6|
|Software for development and test|
|Windows & Windows Server|
|All other servers|
|Office Professional Plus (dev/test and production use)|
|Power BI Pro|
|Pluralsight training 2||15 courses||30 courses||15 courses||30 courses|
|Microsoft E-Learning course collections (per year)||1||2||1||2|
|Technical support incidents||2||4||2||2|
|Priority support in select MSDN forums|
|Priority support in select TechNet forums|
|MSDN Online Chat|
|Exclusive offers from Visual Studio
Industry Partners 3
|30% off Pluralsight annual subscription 4|
|20% off Xamarin Enterprise or Business 5|
- Includes some cloud use rights - consult the Visual Studio and MSDN licensing white paper for additional details. Subscribers in China receive China-specific Windows Azure benefits – consult the offer details for more information.
- Activate before 11/11/2015. Pluralsight subscription is good for 12 months from activation.
- Offers vary by subscription level.
- Good thru 12/31/2015.
- Good thru 6/30/2016, see additional eligibility requirements.
- Activate before 8/11/2016. Includes a perpetual license, plus 12 months of free upgrades and community support.
- Benefits not available in all languages or geographies.
- Want to see a full list of included software? Download the list of products available by subscription level.
- Need more information on software use rights? Consult the Visual Studio and MSDN licensing white paper.
- Program exclusions:
- MPN subscriptions do not include: Office 365 Developer Account, Windows Store and Windows Phone developer account, technical support incidents, priority support in MSDN forums, MSDN Online Chat and Pluralsight training.
- BizSpark subscriptions do not include: technical support incidents (4 technical support incidents per company, provisioned to the administrator), Pluralsight training, and eDevTECH SmartOffice4TFS and inteGREAT4TFS.
- DreamSpark subscriptions do not include: Pluralsight training, PowerBI Pro and eDevTECH SmartOffice4TFS and inteGREAT4TFS.
- MCT: information on MCT Developer Software and Services and MCT Software and Services subscriptions, including benefits and use rights, is available on the Microsoft Certified Trainer website.